Friday May 29th saw both RNLI Salcombe ALB and Hope Cove Lifeboats responding to reports of people in difficulty in the water off South Milton Sands.
Temperatures are set to soar again this weekend and at present there are no RNLI lifeguards on a number of UK beaches, so please make sure you follow our safety advice:
• Stay together – do not enter the water alone, always have a member of your household nearby
• Now is not the time to learn a new water sport, please refrain from the temptation
• Be aware of rip currents (typically identifiable as areas where the waves are not breaking or channels of churning, choppy water on the sea’s surface)
• If you fall into the water unexpectedly, FLOAT TO LIVE, fight your instinct to thrash around, lean back, remain calm, extend your arms and legs and FLOAT
• Always have a plan – check the weather and surf forecast as well as sea temperature and tide times
• In any coastal emergency, dial 999 and ask for the Coastguard